Ride Forever Urban Commuter
Tackle traffic like a pro
- Learn to ride confidently in traffic, guided by trusted experts.
- Ideal for those new to riding, aiming to take their BHST skills onto the road.
- $20 for four hours of on-road coaching.
This four-hour course is perfect for riders who do most of their journeys into and around town or on local roads (50km/h or less). If you’re brand new to riding, just passed your BHST, or simply want some professional guidance to settle your nerves and boost your confidence, this course is for you.
For anyone who has had minimal experience on bikes before they did the Basic Handling Skills Test, the Urban Commuter course is a great first step into interacting with traffic. It helps overcome what can seem like an intimidating experience, building your confidence. As a half-day course it’s also a good first step if the idea of a full 8-hour day on the bike, when you are fairly new, is a bit daunting.
FREE Ride Forever Courses for Selwyn District residents:
- Selwyn District Residents book your course here using the coupon code: "SDC". Do NOT enter any numbers with your coupon code - just the letters - otherwise the coupon will not be applied.
- You'll need to be a Selwyn Resident to be granted the subsidy - we’ll confirm that with Selwyn District Council from the details you give us.
- If the above conditions are not met, you will have to pay the full course fee.
Ride Forever Courses are FREE to Marlborough residents:
- Please book using code "MDC" at the start of your booking by clicking the green ‘enter discount voucher’ button - this will claim your subsidy.
- Note: If you fail to notify us by 1pm on the day before your course and wish to cancel or move you will lose the subsidy from the district council and not be able to apply for another one for 6 months. This would mean making the booking fee payment before participating in a Ride Forever Course during that period.
Whether or not you’re aiming to progress through the licence levels, our Urban Commuter course will teach you all you need to know to deal with traffic and urban hazards.
The cornerstones are road positioning to better see and be seen, safe and effective braking, cornering, and dealing with traffic. Your instructor will also share excellent techniques to ensure every U-turn you make is smooth and safe. Skills-wise, you’ll need to be able to competently control your machine, just like you did (or demonstrated) in your BHST.
If you don't own a bike, you can rent one from us. And the course costs just $20.